Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Vs: digital
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:37:16 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > Oh, Austin, come on.  We're on a friendly basis and this flame is not
> > necessary.
>
> Sorry you took it that way, but it wasn't meant as a flame, George, it's an
> honest question.  The person you were talking to below (and said not to
> presume etc.) DOES design digital cameras...and is a senior scientist for
> one of the top digital camera manufacturers now...and probably knows as much
> if not more than most anyone on this subject.  If you really do have more
> experience than that, I'd really like to know.
>
> > The point is, to write off an entire use of a medium because of damn-near
> > negligible points is a bit silly.
>
><Snip>

To me we've got some of our friends (Jim) who design the stuff and would know
what they are talking about we we've got other of our Lugnut friends (Johnny)
who are getting stupendous results from digital.
Me i see Jim's point but have seen many stupendous digital prints from an array
of sources: scanners backs and digital cameras low end and high. Small prints
maybe in some cases but how big do they have to be?

I have a capitalist faith in technology overcoming all obstacles when there is
enoght money in there for them.

They'll design software to grab the garbled trashed digital data from an array
of pixel grabbers or die trying!

Lots of digital backs are being sold which fit on 4x5's or medium format cameras
for catalogs. IT's here. It's happenin. We may be Leicalike low tech Geeks who
are not much for it just like we're not much for AF but it's here. The kids are
having fun with it!

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA