Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Re: Vs: digital
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 21:02:17 -0500

> Oh, Austin, come on.  We're on a friendly basis and this flame is not
> necessary.

Sorry you took it that way, but it wasn't meant as a flame, George, it's an
honest question.  The person you were talking to below (and said not to
presume etc.) DOES design digital cameras...and is a senior scientist for
one of the top digital camera manufacturers now...and probably knows as much
if not more than most anyone on this subject.  If you really do have more
experience than that, I'd really like to know.

> The point is, to write off an entire use of a medium because of damn-near
> negligible points is a bit silly.

I think the bone of contention is I don't believe the points are negligible.
I never said I didn't like digital cameras...and in fact, they absolutely
have their place...hell, I've been designing digital imaging systems for 25
years, how could I NOT like them...but, unfortunately, they aren't just as
simple as people want to believe they are.  There ARE limitations, and
"tricks" (like the REAL resolution of the cameras, and why they get great
edge detail, but no texture detail...and even the difference between the
two) etc. that most people don't understand.  If people want to listen, and
understand, there are people on this list who are more than happy to provide
correct information...

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Vs: digital)