Subject: Re: [Leica] Headshot lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:50:55 -0700

Craig Semetko wrote:

> Hello All,
>
>  I am considering doing headshots for actors as I live in LA and am an actor
> myself. I currently have an M6TTL am considering using my skinny 90
> tele-elmarit 2.8. I am not totally confident in it's ability to do this
> well. I also have an R7 and the 80-200 zoom F4. I have a few questions. How
> wide does the f-stop have to be to get the eyes in focus and the ears
> slightly blurry and the shoulders a little blurrier, but still discernable?
> I would attempt to do shots like that of the blonde woman in the second
> picture at this web address:
>
> http://hometown.aol.com/mjrgold/index.html

I strated out shooting headshots of the "other" actors as i was one myself.
Five years ago my work took a setback when i went into deep denial with a bum 90
tele-elmarit 2.8.
of which there are many.
highlight separatoni like mush.
flare are us.
mush
i finnally unloaded the thing and got great results from the current 90 Elmarit.
I also got the 90 apo Summicorn and use them together, one on each body.
one body with black and white the other with color on the white backdrop or whereever.
When i look at the resutls i dont' alwyas remember which lesn shot the color and
which the black and white. But the both look definaly beter than the ruelst i
use to get with my 80 f2 nikkor or 105 nikkor 2.5 and 2.8's. And certainly the
damn zooms.
Anybody i ever thought was a nice guy i'd advise to dumb the TE and get a real
leica lens.
Leica paniced at that point and tried to get too compact.
NOW i think they have the technolog to pull it off and cerainly out do the
Cosina 2.5.
but then no, it fit in the camera case like a norman but MUSH.
The one BEFORE it was a better lens if you're saving money;
The Elmar f4 made between 1964 and 68

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA