Subject: [Leica] Re:Dealer problem with M6
From: william lawlor <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 11:10:17 -0700

So my question to one and all is: what do you think is a fair resolution here?
And, to help concentrate the mind, would you do business with this dealer,
knowing what you know now?

Thanks for any cool-headed responses.

Gregor..............

Gregor, I'm sure you will get replies from lawyers. However, my
experience with walk-in and mail order used equipment sellers has
always been that a fault discovered soon after purchase was
rectified. What is "soon"? What is "good faith"? If the dealer wants
to stiff you maybe you need to check your recourse under the terms of
your credit card provider. Many will entertain a complaint about
defective goods. (You did use a credit card didn't you?)

My experiences
1. I bought a used Fuji GS645W from a dealer at a camera show. A year
later I went to a camera show elsewhere and encountered the same
dealer. I told him the camera worked perfectly, but I didn't really
like the wide 45mm lens effects. He wrote me a check on the spot for
my full purchase price and asked me to mail him the camera!

I bought a Rollei 35S from Jimmy Koh mail order. After a few months
the exposure counter failed. He had me return the camera, fixed it,
and offered it back or full credit on another camera. I took the
credit against a more expensive camera.

I had similar experiences over the years with Thompson in Tennessee
and Columbus Camera, and others. I bought a lens from Brooklyn Camera
and asked in advance about the retuen policy. They stated a 15%
charge if the goods were not defective. I decided to return the lens
because it was too big and I paid the 15% without complaint. My local
shop, Seawood Photo, has exchanged so many of my purchases over the
years I can't remember the details.

Good Luck, Bill Lawlor