Subject: [Leica] Re: Canadian lenses
From: Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:09:21 -0400

2001-05-08-15:46:14 Herbert & Lee Kanner:
> I bought a 35 mm Summicron labeled "Canada."  It was about half the
> price of current models.  In general, the lenses made in Canada,
> e.g., 90 mm Summicron, appear to be somewhat cheaper than others.
> Are these lenses inferior, and, if so, in what respects?

Ah, so many questions which have come up before.  I'll take a turn
wading in before some other immoderate replies come...

Canadian lenses are excellent, and in no way inferior to lenses made
in Germany.  What you've likely bought, though is the pre-ASPH[eric]
35mm Summicron, that is the model before the current one.  It's a
lovely lens, lighter and more compact than the current ASPH, and
renders out-of-focus regions with a pleasing coherence;  but it isn't
quite so crispy-sparkly-sharp as the newest lens, especially at or
near the widest apertures.  The difference in lens models would
explain the price difference.

The 90mm Summicrons for which you saw a price difference may be the
older versus the current 90mmAPO-ASPH wonder lens.

> The other question:  I have a rectangular hood that clips onto the
> lens.  That is, there are two buttons that, when depressed, cause
> some pawls to withdraw.  These pawls snap into recesses in the lens
> mount.  The question is: is a hood cap available for this hood?

Sort of.  They fixed this silliness for the next model (the 35mm
Summicron ASPH), providing a slightly reshaped hood and a rubber shade
which snaps over the mounted hood.  You may buy the new hood and shade
separately, and they fit the older 35mm Summicron.