Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Which Ultra-Wide, Heliar 15mm or Heliar 12mm
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 09:25:09 -0700

><Snip>
>
> I need to think about this for a while. As you might guess, I don't
> buy your explanation, I think there's a fallacy. While I look up the
> theoretical analysis I'll see if I can also do my own tests. I'd love
> to shoot the same object with a long lens and a short lens wide open
> and at f22 to see if there's a difference in diffraction losses.
>
> Byron.

I'm real interested because i tend to stop real down when i use wide angles.
When i use wide angles i want EVERYTHING in focus. F11 is normal, f8 makes me a
little antsy, and F16 gives be that warm fuzzy feeling.
Telephotos however for me (and many) are all about edge; a thin area of
sharpness with everything falling off in both directions; shooting wide open or
stopped down one or two.
To all of a sudden realize that i should be doing the opposite to get the best
out my optics really throws me!!!
Shoot wides wide open but stop way down with teles? forgetaboutit!!
The only thing I've ever heard from Henning I've not liked!?

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/