Subject: Re: [Leica] C-41 process b&w films
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 08:58:13 -0400

Firstly, welcome to the LUG Lea. Cool cards.

Secondly, T400CN isn't all that new and it is rumored that Kodak is already
replacing is with their new Portra 400B&W that is just hitting the shelves
now. Since 'TCN' may be going the way of Kodachrome 25, my recommendation
would be to try the new Portra B&W (which is said to be more costly of
course) and compare that to the XP2. Then again, I bought up a bunch of the
TCN that was recently marked way down at my local shop. You may want to get
a good supply in stock while it is inexpensive. Personally, I like it
'pushed' to 800 for the extra stop of play, but it is a fine almost
grainless film at 400 with very moderate contrast. I haven't tried the new
Portra yet (I have all this TCN now...), but a few folks on the list have
an they found it is as fine grain and convenient as TCN.

With any of the chromogenic films I find what makes the largest difference
in how I like the images is when I get my local pro lab (and even the local
Ritz Camera) to print the negs to actual B&W paper instead of whatever
paper they normally use for their colour negs. Once I have a nice film
scanner and a Peizography setup, I imagine that what paper the first prints
are made on will be largely moot. :)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé
http://www.GoodPhotos.com