Subject: Re: foot in mouth (was: Re: [Leica] Hey.....HEY YOURSELF)
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 14:31:30 -0500

> > On Fri, 27 April 2001, someone wrote:
> >

> >> "Sexist behaviour"?
> >> Lea, may I be first to apologise for this rude person,
who
> >> not only is unable to write a charmant 'hello' to
someone
> >> new on this group, but also unable to appreciate woman
> >> when he meets her... Probably an American; I heard they
> >> cannot invite a woman on lunch without getting sued!
:-)
> >> But I can assure you it is an exception. We are not
only
> >> independent souls but also wise and gay ones, as you
will
> >> see in future.
> >> Be welcome !!! And lot of light to you !!!!!!!
> >>

> > This writer (you know who you are) really put his foot
in his mouth this
> > time.  John Collier, one of the LUG's shining lights, is
Canadian, not
> > American, and the meaning of the word "gay" has changed
in the last 30
> > years.  In reference to present culture it no longer
means "joyous and
> > lively" (Webster's New World Dictionary).
> >
> > In North America it is not considered rude for men to
treat women with
> respect.
> >
> > Lea, welcome to the group.
> >
> > Doug Herr
> > Birdman of Sacramento
> > http://www.wildlightphoto.com
>
> Doug,
>
> Pleeze! Lighten up, the "writer" lives in Poland and is
still learning
> English and I doubt that he meant any disrespect to
anybody.

> sl

Undoubtedly there are wise and gay subscribers to lug, no
matter what year Doug's dictionary was printed . . . or
which side of the border.   Is St. Sexist? Maybe. Is he gay
by your dictionary? Probably not, judging by some of his
remarks. Hah!   Is he wise?  Absolutely.

Regards,

SonC