Subject: [Leica] heresy
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 11:12:09 -0700

Today is my daughter's high school senior prom, and tomorrow is my
son's high school senior prom. (They go to different schools). It's
portrait time.

I have the dining room converted into a portrait studio, with backdrop,
window blackouts, studio flash, hairlight, diffusers, and all that. I'm
planning to use my Rollei for most of the shots, but I'd like to try a
few with my M6 because, as a regular reader of the LUG, I've been
convinced that it has great lenses. I have a modern collapsible
Elmarit-M 50/2.8 and a vintage Summilux 50/1.4; I plan to use the
Elmarit-M since I have flash.

To do this I want to be able to sync the M6 to the studio flash. I know
how to do this with a sync cord, but I'd like to try it with a wireless
link so I don't have to drag the cord around.

In about an hour I'm going to head to Keeble and Shuchat to see what
they can tell me, but I was wondering if anybody had any
recommendations. I have an optical trigger for the Speedotrons so that
they can be slaves; if I can find nothing else I can just get a
hot-shoe flash for the M6 and point it up or backwards so it will
trigger the big strobes instead of producing redeye. Does anybody have

  a) A recommendation for a hot-shoe flash for this application. Note
that I'm not going to use it to light the subject, but just to
communicate with the Speedotrons to tell them to light the subject, or,

  b) A recommendation for some sort of radio or infrared remote trigger
that syncs from the hot shoe. These things must exist, but I've never
seen them.

Brian

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] heresy)