Subject: [Leica] China trip
From: "Mike Nicholls" <mikenic@cyberone.com.au>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 22:06:12 +1000

Lloyd Westbrook wrote:

"My wife and I leave for Beijing next week.........  "

Hi Lloyd
We were in China about 18 months ago. The smog was atrocious for photography
and made the best of my landscape shots look fogged or completely washed
out. Just like using an "Ugly 2" filter. Smog seems to be everywhere. I shot
Kodak Gold 100, but it wouldn't have mattered what I used (maybe infra-red
could have cut through it). Anyway, I should have just shot B&W and been
much more disciplined, turned around, and photographed closer subjects like
the local Chinese people around me rather than always trying to get that
"brochure" landscape shot. I came home pretty cross with myself. But.....you
may get the wind blowing in the right direction, so colour is a must (just
in case). Lots of Kodak Gold around in China, at very reasonable prices. I
made Photoshop "stitched panoramas" of the Great Wall at Badaling and also
Fengdu (going under water big time when the Three Dams Project comes on
line) shot from a boat on the Yangtze. Both ended up as B&W, with the Fengdu
shot as a tri-tone panorama. We enjoyed this fantastic and diverse country
and its people. Have a great time and ......you don't have to go out for
"Chinese" there either.
Regards
Mike Nicholls
mikenic@cyberone.com.au