Subject: Re: [Leica] China trip
From: "mdelman" <mdelman@rochester.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 21:43:46 -0400

Lloyd:

DO NOT buy the indigenous brand "Lucky Film" made in China.  I won't comment
on its quality. You can guess.

If you want to buy film....get Kodak brand from a Kodak Express Store.  It's
important that you buy from a reputable Kodak Express dealer since many
brands are counterfeited in China. Kodak made a huge investment in China
several years ago and the plants there make the highest quality film in the
world due to the newness of the equipment. In terms of quality (variation
from batch to batch) it's the best in the world (better than Agfa, Fuji,
Ilford etc.)

By the way, buy all your bottled water in your hotel.  I bought
counterfeited water and spent some time and money in an ex-pat clinic trying
to get rid of a parasite.

That notwithstanding, China is really fascinating.  Hire a private tour
guide and see the great wall at the most interesting point which is north of
the city.  The place is called (phonetic:  si-ma-tie)  Sorry not sure of the
correct spelling in English.

As for other photo thoughts..... The area around Beijing is hazy due to
pollution.  The city is powered by coal-fired electric plants.  Even
Si-Ma-Tie is not spared.  Hope for a good day with wind blowing the
pollution to away.  Also, it you are not in good health, you may not want to
go to this location since you will have to climb many stairs (about 1 hour
straight up)

Good luck to you.

- -Mark

Good Luck