Subject: [Leica] Re: Opinion of R Lenses.... 180 Sumilux and 16 Fisheye
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:52:56 +1000

Steve Beyer <steve@beyerphoto.com> wrote:

>I am interested in your opinion for these lenses.  I am fairly new to the
>Leica R stuff and I have the opportunity to buy these in mint condition.

I use the 16mm fisheye everyday as my main working lens (!)

Quite simply it is amongst the best three full-frame fisheyes
available, even if it is a 1974 Minolta design.  Sharp (although
nowhere near the 50 M Summicron class), almost no vignetting - but
most importantly you can point the lens into the sun and not have
to worry unduly about lens flare, which is a huge slayer of other
super-wides.

For examples of shots I have taken with this lens, see a few of the
post-July 1998 360-degree vr images on my 4020.net site.

The other good FFFEs?  The Contax Zeiss 16mm and Olympus 16mm,
however these don't have the built in filters that the Leica
16mm does.  Also, these are relatively difficult to buy (I have
yet to see one in Sydney).

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds