Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Streetshooting
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 19:39:30 -0400

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

> 3.  The people(?) in the shot are a little far away, no?  IMO,
> candid slice-of-life photography requires recognisable faces
> at 4m or less.  Yes this requires courage / gall / rudeness /
> friendliness / whatever - which is why so few can do it, and
> why so much 'street photography' is little more than shots
> of peoples backs.

I think we can get a bit hung up in definitions and miss the beauty in
front of our eyes....I love it, Sonny - The greens and browns, the
dappled sunlight, the curve of the ruts in the dirt/mud, and, oh yes,
the hikers approaching in the distance...No, it's not yet another shot
of a drooling homeless drunk lending "color" to the urban scene, it's
not the 999,999th original shot of a few smokers huddled outside a
building, and it's not even the 7,000,938th shot of a beautiful woman in
a tight skirt/blouse being stared at by a couple large-gutted
construction workers.

But it's a photo that works for me - and I don't even like color, woods,
or mud all that much...;-)

B. D.

Replies: Reply from "robmellor" <robmellor@onetel.net.uk> (Re: [Leica] Re: Streetshooting)