Subject: Re: [Leica] Pre-school...no lobsters, lots of sand
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 08:37:38 -0500

><< Today I started another pre-school project.
> The kids are wonderful, so energetic, so busy, so alive!  >>
>
>How lucky you are Henry. These days to start any project which involves
>children here in the UK you have to be positively vetted by the police to
>make sure you are not a paedophile. It has made UK photographers neurotic
>about anything involving children at all. People have even been arrested for
>photographing their toddlers at bathtime, and a colleague of mine nearly had
>a breakdown after his motives were questioned when he took a photo of his 5
>year old granddaughter in the bath.
>
>Gerry
Sometimes I think about this issue with a children's project.
I've decided to just put them out of my mind (mostly out of mind but
keeping just a reminder) and go forward. Its kind of like riding a bike
along the edge of a sharp drop-off. You just have to look where you're
going and know you'll get there. I know that if I worried too much about
the possibilities for misunderstanding of this work I might not do it.
Anyway, the parents love the pictures and I enjoy making them.

I enjoy doing family and children photography as a counterpoint to
commercial work. After a week involving a couple of hundred product shots
on white seamless I'm ready for something with some meaning. Its can be a
hard way to make money but often easier to deal with than widget number
191 blankly staring back at me from the white sweep!

Henry