Subject: [Leica] Re: soldier photographers
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:52:36 -0500

At 10:44 AM 3/22/01 -0500, Doug wrote:
>On 3/22/01 3:01 AM, Leica Users digest expressed the following:
> > "Military-Trained Combat Photographers" have always been 'trained soldiers'
> > FIRST (learn how to kill people and break things more efficiently) then we
> > had an additional 6 months training course in Still Photographic
> > Applications. The course was 8 hours a day 5 days a week and accelerated
> > lockstep  pace...It was one of the longest AITs in the military and
> > generally offered more training in actual PHOTOGRAPHY than someone who gets
> > a MFA from a nice University.
>
>Okay, now I feel bad about denigrating frontline photojournalism.
>
>It's an admirable activity, often heroic. (Just completely alien to my
>pampered life as a bohemian boomer; we're all about theory and slow
>contemplation.)

Well though I underwent the training, the actual "facing real bullets
flying at me" was something that I am happy to report is still completely
alien to my life as well. (May it ever remain so.) I saw no 'action' for my
entire enlistment as the US were blissfully at pease during my active tour.
I shot aerial and ground images for research and development documentation,
criminal forensics photography, grip and grins, PJ stuff for Army
newspapers, promotional portraiture and general Propaganda/PR stuff the
whole time I was in. I was lucky most shooters ended up sweeping the troop
motor pool or the post arts and craft center teaching hobbyists. I did
photograph a LOT of ordinance, but it was all being shot into the empty
range for testing and practice.

I miss the job because for the most part it was photography that was used
by DC (well, MD) to make huge, costly and often life saving decisions (or
as evidence to help catch or convict the bad guys,) but I don't so much
miss being a soldier or the occasional worry that listening to the state of
our political entanglements abroad at the time produced.

Making the wedding images that a couple will treasure on their 50th
anniversary may not be as important in the grand scheme of photographic
applications, but it is to each couple and it sure beats the corporate
sales game that I've just escaped again.

Your's in slow contemplation,
Michael