Subject: [Leica] Re: 35mm M Summicron ASPH lens-flare
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 06:06:09 +1100

> [ sideways remark by me that the 35mm M Summicron ASPH
> flares easily ]

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but unlike some others
on this list (ahem...), I have examples to back this statement up.

See:

<http://nemeng.com/misc/flare1.jpg>   JPEG  35 KB

<http://nemeng.com/misc/flare2.jpg>   JPEG  38 KB

Both images are presented full-frame & uncropped, with minimal
colour balance and no gamma adjustment.  Lens aperture was f8
and f5.6 respectively and yes, the lens was crystal clean (!)
I also used the rectangular lens-hood which comes with the lens
(indeed, the interior of the LH has been repainted jet matt black).

I knew I was pushing my luck with #1 as the sun was just peeking
over the edge of the roof above the couple.  Was disappointed
however with the fogging in #2 as the view out the train window
wasn't that bright (it was an overcast day).

OTOH, my venerable 50mm M Summicron can handle these kinds of
lighting conditions without a wimper.

QED - so much for the 35mm Summicron ASPH being the "best ever
Leica lens"!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds