Subject: Re: [Leica] Arca-Swiss plate n tripod thoughts
From: apbbeijing <apbbeijing@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 21:41:04 +0800

> , I want to be sure the
> grip is absolutely secure.  Just my personal paranoia. :)
Hey - just give it another twist and wrap the neckstrap around the top of
the tripod head. No problems!

Seriously - an Arca B1 is the last head I would choose to use with an M
since the built in inertia of the head will stress the baseplate of the
camera when you move it about unless you make sure you put it on minimum
tension beforehand. If you have to make all these adjustments and mess
around with fancy clamps and plates/plate fittings then you are likely to
miss whatever you are shooting anyway. So much for quick release systems.
Remember you have to aim the RF patch at the subject you want to focus on
and that means either a fiddly stiff head or an undamped loosened one so why
not use a Leica large ball head in the first place which can be readily
loosened and tightened very rigidly superfast and forget about the Arca
plates which would even ideally (i.e. As a built in groove on the
Rapidwinder) make the camera uncomfortable to hold. If you are going to the
trouble and slowed down pace a tripod necessitates a reflex camera makes a
lot more sense to me.

The only tripod head I have felt works well with the Ms is the Leica large
ball and socket head made for the table top tripod. This works nicely with
the Gitzo 1228 carbon pod and is no slower to attach than the Arca QR
plates.

I use the Arca system with RRS plates for my SLRs and LF but the Leica b/s
head for all rangefinders (including Mamiya 6 and 7s). I still have a huge
Manfrotto pan/tilt head and a box of unmentionable junk for LF use but find
the Arca is fine for my Sinar so it gathers dust. Never used a Gitzo head I
liked - too big, too flexy or too insecure in mounting for my tastes.

KISS - big stuff: Arca
        small stuff: Leica b/s

HTH

Adrian