Subject: RE: [Leica] OT MF RF
From: "Austin Franklin" <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:36:57 -0500

> Biggest gain is in
> low vibration. I can't hold the 'blad still slower than 1/125 the M7 is OK
> at 1/30!.

I can't disagree with that...but I can shoot down to 1/30 and 1/15th with my
2003 with the 110/2, it's a reasonably heavy lense.  I also have the meter
prism head...which adds to the weight.  I used to want lighter cameras, but
then when I used them, they really weren't as good at low light use, which
is why I REALLY like the M6 for low light use, and even the RTS III, which
weighs something like 2.5lb for the body alone!  I've come to like heavy,
small, but heavy ;-)

> Its just like the Leica to use and quieter.

Yeah, I understand.  Most anything is quieter than a Hasselblad!  They make
babies cry.  The Rollei TLR is much quieter.

> FWIW (not much perhaps) the M7 lenses show better MTF than the Hassy Zeiss
> ones.

You're right, at least one, the 150, does have 'higher' MTF values.  I
haven't checked the others...

My biggest complaints with the MF rangefinders is the lense are just so
slow, and the cameras are just so big.  f4 is just to slow for me.  The
fastest one I've found is the Zeiss Super Ikonta B, has a 2.8.  It's a bit
soft though...  I also have a Fuji GS645 that is 3.4...it's a pretty nice
camera, but it's a 645.  If someone made a reasonably compact 6x6 RF with an
f2 lense, I'd be very interested.