Subject: RE: [Leica] focus inaccuracies: my test results
From: "Dan Honemann" <danh@selectsa.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 20:23:58 -0500

Dante,

> If you read Dan's post, it said that BOTH cameras (M6 and Hexar)
> decoupled at the closest distance the lens RING would go to.

Actually, I said that only the Hexar RF decouples at the closest distance
the focus ring turns to; the M6 remains coupled through the entire throw,
and the 35 and 50 focus accurately on the M6 as a result (but not on the
Hexar at min. distance).  The oddball is the 75, which won't achieve the
correct focus until 2.5 feet (roughly .75 meters) on both cameras.

I have it from a reliable source that the Hexar RF coupled with Leica lenses
will either be accurate at infinity OR at < .7 meters, but not both.  So you
have to decide how you want the rangefinder calibrated on the Hexar and
shoot accordingly.  Obviously, the best choice is to align infinity and then
restrict yourself to > .7 meters when shooting up close and move the camera
to/from the subject to focus rather than turn the ring.

I've also heard (same source) that this is true of the 75/1.4.  At least I
know how my lenses and cameras behave at these distances and so can
compensate; the good news on my 75 is that < .75m it consistently focuses
1.5 inches too close, and so if I focus on an ear instead of an eye at that
distance, I've got the eyes in focus.

Dan

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (RE: [Leica] focus inaccuracies: my test results)