Subject: Re: [Leica] Color vs.B&W
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 23:11:26 -0800

Tristan Tom wrote in part:

I have to admit, I'm torn between shooting black and white or color.
I go through phases where I only want to shoot black and white. It's
more emotional, it seems more artistic, more pure and to the core.

 This is part of my struggle as a photographer. My frustration is that
I don't feel that I've developed my own 'look' or particular style of
photograph yet...

If only I could just settle on the choice between black and white or color...

Tristan,

Don't be so concerned about developing a style or 'look'. It will develop naturally as a result of shooting lots of film over a long period of time. It's your unique visual point of view. Others will recognize it before you do. Trying to impose a particular style on your photos will only limit you to a formula that narrows your vision.

As for color vs. b&w, explore both. If you can, carry two cameras loaded with color and b&w so you are free to choose with each scene. After a while you will develop the instinct that will tell you which one is best suited for the photo. Just be open to the possibilities...

Robert