Subject: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:44:17 -0800

My wife and I plan to vacation in Italy this spring.  We'll visit Rome,
Sienna, Florence, and Venice, with side trips to Pompeii and the
countryside around Sienna.   I'm already thinking about what camera and
lenses to take.

To ask the perennial impossible question:  "What camera and lenses would
you take if you were me?" I know this is a personal decision and no one
can make it for me.  BUT I think it's useful  to hear what other people
would choose to take or leave behind, and more importantly, the reasons
behind the decision.

I've got the following to choose from:

- -Leica M4-P (black), 35/2 and 50/2 Summicrons, 50/1.4 Nikkor, 85/1.9
Canon (HEAVY!), 90/4 Elmar.
- -Olympus OM-2 (chrome), 28/2.8 MC, 35/2.8 SC, 50/1.8 MC, 50/1.4 SC,
100/2.8 SC (all Zuikos)
- -Gossen Luna Pro Digital meter
- -A light plastic camera C-clamp that doubles as a table tripod.
- -A small old Vivitar flash (Model 283?) with both manual and automatic
modes (not TTL)

We will be on foot or using buses and trains the whole time, so size,
weight and the "fiddlyness" of too many extra things is an issue.  I
will take only one body--either the M4-P or the OM-2.  I might also take
my Konica Z-Up 110 point-and-shoot (35-110mm zoom) as a backup.  I don't
intend to take a shoulder-strap camera bag, so I want everything to fit
into pockets and/or a fanny pack.  Both Olympus and Leica have plusses
there, although the Leica lenses are smaller.

My normal outfit these days is the M4-P with 35/2, 50/2 and 90/4 and a
separate light meter.  I tend to use 35 and 50mm the most, followed by
90 (or 85 or 100). I rarely use the 28mm on the Olympus unless I
*really* need it.  My Leica lenses are noticeably better than my Zuikos,
especially at f/4 and wider, although the 50/1.8 Zuiko comes very
close.  I focus better with a rangefinder, and usually prefer it.  But
for travel, I can see advantages to the SLR.

I am concerned about theft.  Several travel books warn about the problem
of theft in Italy.  I've never been there, so I have no way to judge how
real the danger is.  I am leaning toward taking the Olympus to Italy, on
the grounds that my Olympus stuff is less expensive and easier to
replace than my Leica stuff.  I'd be less worried about losing or
breaking something.  Am I being overly paranoid here?

I'll be shooting color print film. I haven't decided whether to take 100
and 400 ISO, or use all 200 as a compromise.  I usually use Kodak Gold,
but I'm open to others.

The purpose of the trip is to see and experience Italy, so photography
should fit into, but not dominate it.

Apart from various combinations of my existing equipment, I'm also
considering buying a midrange zoom (35-70/4 or /3.6 Zuiko or quality
off-brand?) and taking that lens, plus either the 28/2.8 or 50/1.4
Zuikos.  One of the legendary Series I Vivitar zooms might also work,
although they seem too heavy to schlepp around for 2 weeks.  I've never
used an SLR zoom, so I don't know how much I'd lose in quality vs. my
primes.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice)
Reply from "Roger Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net> (Re: [Leica] Italy: Camera/lens advice)