Subject: Re: [Leica] More PAW's question re comments asked for.
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:47:14 -0500

Alastair Firkin jotted down the following:

> I was going to say this a couple of days ago and then trashed the
> post. On our Rollei board we have a great site designed to be
> critical.
>
> For an example go to
>
> http://cgi.linkclub.or.jp/~dmakos/imgsquare/index.cgi

Eh, sorry, but in no way can this be considered "a great site".  Navigation
to the comments is tricky and longwinded and the layout is confusing.  Upon
clicking on a comment link, it's difficult to see what is a comment, what is
unnecessary header data, what is the navigation (i.e., how I see the other
messages, the next message, the previous message, or go back to the index)
and to top it off, the stuff that takes up most space on the page and is the
first thing your eye is drawn to is the large, white space for leaving *my*
comments.  It has all the hallmarks of something designed by someone who is
technically proficient (getting all the behind-the-scenes scripts working,
the threading, etc.) but who has little or no design experience.

Personally, I think that the low-tech approach is much better.  To post a
critique, simply include a link in your plain ASCII text email message to
where the picture can be seen, and then write your critique in that same
plain ASCII text email message.  That way, you can have the email text up at
the same time as the browser window -- and you can refer to what the author
is writing about as you read the critique.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                    |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU      |         53 kB/s and nothing on.
email: howard.390@osu.edu        |

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> ([Leica] <Good news inserted here>)
Reply from Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> ([Leica] I'll second that!)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] More PAW's question re comments asked for.)