Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Shooting children with M6 -- HELP
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:55:11 -0500

on 1/18/01 10:58 AM, Brougham at brougham3@yahoo.com wrote:

> All this means is that you're spending way too much time thinking and
> not enough time doing.  :)
>
> If you're a touch-typist, you don't think about what finger you need
> to move in order to form a word.  In fact, many common words are
> "programmed" into my hands by now.  Likewise, I don't think about
> which way I'm focusing the lens.  Or which way I'm turning the shutter
> speed.  Just do it!  :)

Quite right. But when you are faced with an unfamiliar camera your
muscle-memory quits and it's handy to remember this. It's repetition that
drives this kind of stuff from the conscious to the pre-conscious, so when
you say...

> If you have to think, you're not doing it nearly often enough!

...you're dead on the money.

It's like metering... I realised I was getting good at doing it by eye AND
unconcsciously adjusting the camera when, every time I took out the incident
meter the camera was already at the right settings. Now it doesn't bother me
in the least if I don't have a meter with me.

- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com