Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus?
From: Rick Floyd <rick-floyd@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:43:38 -0500

on 1/17/01 2:55 PM, Pascal at cyberdog@attglobal.net wrote:

> On 17-01-2001 13:48, Rick Floyd wrote:
>
>> On one hand, I think with practice an R8
>> can do anything an auto-focus camera can do.  On the other hand, I "imagine"
>> a Canon EOS 1v or Nikon F5 can do it easier.
>
> I think you knew the answer before it was given.
>
> Pascal
> NO ARCHIVE
>
> ---------
> Visit my Leica pages at http://members.nbci.com/cyberplace
> ---------
> <<< PGP public key available upon request >>>

Pascal:

Maybe some background will help to see why I asked the question.  I
currently have, use and love my M6 with 35 Summicron ASPH, 50 Summicron, 50
Noctilux and 90 Summicron APO-ASPH.  I have used the 50 and 90 for indoor
soccer with GREAT success.  But I was only trying to capture my son playing
keeper.  His mobility isn't like a regular player on a full size, outdoor
field.

Sometime we are going to get warm weather (I live in Michigan) and they will
be moving outdoors.  I want a longer lens(es) and slr for the outdoor
season.  Last year, I tried my wife's Minolta something-something with
80-200 zoom.  The autofocus was terrible and the shutter release would never
release when I wanted because the auto-focus wasn't.  So, it turned out to
be an exercise in frustration.

Then comes a Leica day at my dealer and with Erwin's 180 comparison clutched
in my fist, I tried the R8.  I was warming up to it every time I touched it,
but now had a purpose in mind.  I used the 180 f2.8, R8, winder and
motordrive for the better part of an afternoon.  I tracked kids in the
store, teens on bikes, cars up and down the street - I was really impressed.

But now is the time to plunk money down and not just buy a camera, but
invest in my next system.  Since I use the M6 for almost 85% of my
photography, I wanted to get the groups opinion of the top-of-the-line AF
cameras versus an R8 for what I want to do.  So you may be right - I knew
the right answer for my head, but damn those Leicas sure create havoc with
common sense.

By the way, I've been eyeing every week whether you have sold the 85 because
that is another one of those emotional lenses to me.

Thanks,
Rick
- --

Replies: Reply from Shan <shan@montana.net> (Re: [Leica] R8 or Autofocus?)