Subject: [Leica] Re:M3D
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 05:56:02 -0500

Emanuel wrote: "I don't think the designation M3D was just Duncan's vanity
talking...
Leica made four pre-production MP bodies for DDD in 1955, also at least one
marked
M3E for Eisenstadt.
Wetzlar gave pre-production samples to top pros for testing and I think
Solms may
still do this too.
Duncan received three of the M3D bodies and used them (and I believe Sal
diMarco has
handled one) while one wasn't ever delivered and is in a private
collection."

    He is correct until the last paragraph.. Duncan had all four M3Ds. He
told me a couple of years ago, he gave M3D-4 to a very close friend who
helped him during the Korean War.
At least one other went to the University of Austin where he donated his
archives.
    I believe he still has two in his possession.
    Lastly, my last name is spelled with a capitol 'D."

Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA