Subject: Re: [Leica] Yet another LTM -> M adapter question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 00:47:41 +1100

Dante A. Stella wrote:

> Canon and Nikon LTM lenses are at the 2 o'clock position
> Early Soviet LTM lenses are at the 12 o'clock position.  Late are usually 1 or
> 2.
> Leica is straight up.
>
> Depends on the lens.

All the Leitz screw mount lenses line up at the 2 O'Clock position. So do all the
non Leitz screw mount lenses I have ever used or seen. This includes the real
Voigtlander, Dallmeier,
Taylor Hobson etc. This goes for all focal length lenses. not just the 50mm.

Leitz advertised at the early days of the screw mount cameras, that with a Leica
camera it is possible to see and read all the camera and lens settings by looking
down to the camera from the top. Even on the slow speed setting, the knob had such
a shape, to enable one to view it from the top. However, with an auxiliary view
finder mounted on the accessory shoe, it would have not been possible to see the
depth of field scale and the distance setting mark, had this been at the 12
O'Clock position. The Leitz universal view finders stuck out  a fair bit towards
the front of the camera.  The only Leitz lenses which could not fulfill this
requirement, where the screw mount Elmar 50mm f3.5 and the Hector 50mm f2.5. These
lenses had the aperture setting only visible by looking at the front of the lens.

All bayonet mount Leitz lenses have the distance setting mark at the 12 O'clock
position.

Regards, Horst Schmidt

Replies: Reply from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Yet another LTM -> M adapter question)
Message from "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu> (Re: [Leica] Yet another LTM -> M adapter question)