Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LUGPhoto Quotes To Brighten Your Day
From: Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2000 20:40:46 +0200

What, precisely, is objectionable about this passage?
Chandos

At 08:17 AM 9/8/2000 -0500, you wrote:
> > In America the photographer is not simply the person who records the
past, but the one who invents it.
> > > Susan Sontag

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

<<<<<

I don't find it particularly objectionable either. No facts without
interpretations, or some such. And if pictures really are the (or one of
the) primary event-fixing medium in the popular consciousness, then it
makes sense to me that the selectivity of what gets pictured very much
determines what the past is. This also applies to our mental picture of
"exotic" cultures, etc. (Depictions of the Arab world or India, China, etc.).
While I don't find art theory very interesting, I thought Sontag's book was
a good read at the time.
Rob.
Robert Appleby
V. Bellentani 36