Subject: [Leica] Enlarger
From: Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 14:45:01 -0400

dear Terry,

I am interested in your quest for the right enlarger because I have been
trough this myself a couple of years ago. Indeed,
the Focomat is no longer offered, and it is a pity. I have few
colleagues who own them and they are satisfied. I was quite impressed by
the vario-module of the Focomat because I appreciate to be able to vary
the contrast (by changing the grades) in a single print.

But besides using a Leica M system, I also work a lot with a Hasselblad.
So I needed a medium format enlarger. I ended
up buying a Durst Start Pro M-70 with the Vario head. The prints are
evenly lit across the format, the contrast control is  easy and
predictable The results are plainly said, superb. And also, I can change
the contrast in the dark with this tiny battery-powered light that shows
me what grade I am dialling.... Some feature I have not seen on any
other enlarger. And it is of course very rigid.

As for the lens, I have opted for Nikkor EL 63mm. Excellent! I have
tried a Rodesntock  Apo-Rodagon, which was maybe better at 2,8 & 4, but
not noticeably better from 5,6 & 8. But it is far more expensive!  By
the way, it was recently written in a french photo magazine that
Salgado's printer use the Nikkor El 63mm. I believe it cannot be that
bad!

Have fun in your search and in your future printing.

Pierre Charbonneau
Montreal

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Enlarger)