Subject: Re: [Leica] les fleurs du mal: was OT: Nachtwey (was Personal portfolios of ...
From: ARTHURWG@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 09:57:49 EDT

Like George, I'm a true believer in "concerned photograpy." At its best it is
deeply humanizing. My complaint with regard to Nachtwey is that his
particular brand of photo is just the opposite-- profoundly dehumanizing.
Unlike Capa, McCullin, Jones-Grifith et al,  I find J.N.'s photos  ice cold,
devoid of emotion and compassion, degrading and superior  to its subjects.
Unlike so many other concerned photographers, I find Nachtwey's message to
be, " This is how it is. Take a good, close look and admit that there's
nothing you or anyone else can do about it." Arthur

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] OT: Nachtwey (was Personal portfolios of ...)