Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Questions
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:46:03 -0400

I've inserted comments as appropriate. In addition, I confess to being
alarmed by John Collier's (probably accurate) observation that my
two-year-old Tri-E will shortly be devalued by a new and improved one,
though I've been very pleased with its performance in a wide range of
settings -- none of them dim, of course.///Dick Baznik
_______

At 10:24 AM 8/24/00 EDT, Tllomag@aol.com wrote:
>Hello All.  I have acouple of questions regarding the current Tri-Elmar.
First, I don't see it mentioned much on the list and would like to know
your opinions on it as a "travel lens", i.e., when traveling light along
with a 21mm and a 90mm.

It's a great lens for travel or street shooting, with wonderful tones,
sharpness, and contrast. The only place I've been seriously inconvenienced
by the slow aperture was in a Costa Rican cloud forest. I fell back on my
trusty but scruffy pre-ASPH 35 Lux (no flare to speak of there, of course).

>  I realize that a new one is to be announced in September--smaller and
"improved" casing, but same optics, but I can purchase a current new one
(Leica demo-1 year Leica-USA warranty)at $1700, which seems like a good deal.

Why not wait to see the new one? If it has a more positive detent mechanism
for the focal length settings, that might be worth some extra money.

>  Second, does anyone know if there is a dedicated Leica Lens Hood for
this lens?

The Tri-E is described as having an integrated shade, which is consistent
with the back-and-forth movement of the front lens element as you change
focal length. I can't imagine that one could safely mount another hood on
the front of the lens without vignetting. I've had no problems with flare
or glare, though I am careful about the position of the sun.