Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey card
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 10:06:31 -0700

Alright!
Good point- and it proves the value of the adage- "When in doubt... READ THE
INSTRUCTIONS!"
Needless to say- if the proper level of light is calculated into a meter- so
that it expects an 18% level of light, then using the Gray Card outside
might be more logical. That would mean that if one's meters are expecting an
18% reflection outside- and you DON'T use the card- then you should open up
that extra bit to allow for the difference....I would think that studio
light, and natural light would be the same.... as the current discussion has
seemed to indicate. So if the average outdoor scene does reflect the 13% of
light- then using the card would give a correct reading there, or lacking
the card- give the scene a slight increase to allow for the difference...
And that is assuming the meter is actually calibrated to 18%!  :o)
Dan (I'm getting confused- where am I? ) Post