Subject: Re: [Leica] rumours from the east
From: Pascal <cyberdog@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 22:22:39 +0200

On 14-08-2000 19:03 John Coan wrote:

>I wonder what Leica would do on a new autofocus camera, if they
>introduced one?  Same lens mount, like Nikon?  Or, new mount like Canon
>and Contax?

John,

if they introduce a new lens mount, it would not give *present* R users a
natural upgrade path. In fact, if the mount changes, the whole game
changes. Choice, if one wanted to switch from a manual to an AF system,
would not only be limited to Leica but to any manufacturer. Hardly what
Leica would like to see happening I guess, in view of their already
marginal take of the overall SLR market.

What Contax did is a very brave move, but at the same time a very
dangerous one towards existing Contax SLR users.

Pascal
no archive

See my photo pages at http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace