Subject: Re: [Leica]So long, Flare, we overknew ye.... was Shadow boxing
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Aug 2000 02:20:43 -0400

  sincd ed meyers hides behind a magnum name with his flare infatuation i'm
offering one in rebuttal. philip jones-griffiths is not just a photographer
of equal repute but is a technician without an equal among magnum
photograpers.  i once asked Philip Jones-Griffiths whether to get the
preflashing attachment for the bowens famous slide copier. he said it was
not just valueless but a handicap. he was doing or supervising (president of
magnum at the time) tons of slide copying. if preflashing w/precise control
is a handicap in a labratory setup what does
the degrading imput of flare from an uncoated lens add to an outdoor
portrait? meyers and wulff claim this is why the preflashing effect works:
flare is so pushy and fast it gets to your film before your actual picture!
flaretheewell,ralph