Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. Customs
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 19:09:04 -0400

The Customs officers are pretty smart guys and gals.  I wonder if there is any
place in the world where Leica cameras are cheaper than New York?  If so, when
coming back from that place I would worry that they might possibly check you.

I have bought plenty of camera gear (admittedly of small value) from Europe on
Ebay and have never been assesed a duty upon entry into the US.  I wonder if
there even is a duty any more on 35mm cameras?  After all, there is no domestic
camera industry to protect.