Subject: Re: [Leica] U.S. Customs
From: John Brownlow <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 16:25:09 -0400

on 7/8/00 4:09 pm, Bill Satterfield at cwsat@cyberhighway.net wrote:

> Have any of you had any trouble with customs when returning with the
> Leica equipment you took with you. I understand they have a form but my
> travel agent said she had never been questioned. She has been to Europe
> 4 times.

They're generally not interested in what they perceive as 2nd hand goods. If
you want to forestall trouble, take the original receipts with you. Film
crews use something called a 'carnet' which details every hood and filter.

I've come through US customs with Leicas so many times I've lost count and
though sometimes they ask about them they've never given me any hassle.
- --
Johnny Deadman

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com