Subject: Re: [Leica] Developing Film in the Field
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 10:56:02 +0100

Jean-Claude:

I have used the Ilford methods for years - without the extra 40 turns for
safety.

My safety margin is that I leave the film sitting in each of the waters for
a minute or two before changing to the next water. I turn the tank once or
twice before pouring out each water. The Film Developing Cookbook
recommends keeping the film for five minutes in each water bath, I think
this has something to do with osmosis.

Anyway it is less work than turning 40 times. In fact I never turn (upside
down) at all, my little Paterson tank has has a stick  that you put into
the middle of the reel and twist. This rotates thereel with the film inside
the tank. I use this for stop bath and fixing too,  but not for
development. Development is turning upside down.

Chris

>Here is the Ilford method:
>
>Clean the tank with the film under running water and
>Fill tank with fresh water, turn (upside down) 5 times
>refresh water, turn 10 times
>refresh water, turn 20 times
>and we have a film washed in archive quality
>
>I add a 40 times turn for safety.
>
>There is a splendid paper by Rolf Suessbrich at
>http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Thinktank/5693/photogra.html.
>
>All the best,
>
>---
>Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)