Subject: Re: [Leica] M or R ???
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2000 22:55:20 -0700

Håkan Dennersten wrote:
><Snip>
>
> I would really like to be convinced to buy a M camera. But how is _really_
> to use ??? Maybe one more R camera is the right for me ?? How is the 6.2 ???
><Snip>
> Håkan Dennersten
> Founder

I shot Nikons for 20 years and soon after I got my first M6 seven years ago just
for personal street work it was all i wanted to shoot. I use it to shoot promo
work on location as well as in the studio with a Leica winder M. And Portrait
work and general commercial, and scenic.
I keep the Nikons for Macro and very long focal lengths but getting a Viso might
knock them out entirely.
As a kid my very first camera with adjustments that I did serious photography
with was a Voigtlander Vito BL Rangefinder so the switch to rangefinder from
Nikon was made less awkward because I was returning to home. SLR's are very
comfortable intuitive cameras but I just love the M6 better. Takes some definite
getting used to and a commitment. I advise a temporary retirement of your SLR
system for a few months to really see if rangefinder shooting can take hold with
you. Otherwise it might always seem awkward. My picture quality has improved, I
never did get used to that mirror black out from my first F2 I got in College in
the 70's. I'm glad I'm back to hearing the click as I watch though the viewfinder.
Someday perhaps I'll also get into an R8 and or 6.2 for macro and long tele and more.
Mark Rabiner