Subject: [Leica] 50/1.2 or 50/1.5 or 50/2?!
From: Dante A Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 19:21:54 -0400

Here's something a little weird.

I just got back my Canon 50/1.5 LTM (1951) from cleaning.  At some point
I got it into my head that it was time to see if the transmission was
higher through a 7/3 Sonnar type than other constructions.  I had
already tested it against a clean 50/1.2 Canon and determined that there
was no speed difference (in terms of meter reading), or at least one
within half a stop.  Interestingly, with the same target (beige wall),
the results were (with the meter set to 1600)

Canon 50/1.5 @f/2 = Between 1/250 and 1/500 sec
Nikkor 85/2 @ f/2  = 1/250 sec
M-Hexanon 50/2 @f/2 = 1/250 sec
M-Hexanon 90/2.8@ f/2.8 = 1/125 sec

This is not the way it's supposed to work - all of them should read the
same (or as equivalents).  Any ideas?  It shouldn't be a huge difference
like that because the Canon is single-coated and the Hexanon multi.  If
anything, the more modern glass should be brighter.

I suspect the old Canon transmits more light, even stopped down, even
without multicoating and LD glass.  Or it's really a 1.2 and the f/2
mark is where 1.5 really is.

Dante Stella
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante

Replies: Reply from "Miro Jurcevic" <miroj@ozemail.com.au> ([Leica] Re: 50/1.2 or 50/1.5 or 50/2?!)