Subject: Re: [Leica] re split printing notes- follow up
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 11:02:22 -0700

I was gratified at the interest in the 'split-printing' technique that Bob
Bedwell and I have been experimenting with. I haven't been over to Bob's
house since the first of the week, but the reports from his darkroom are
really encouraging. He reported that his first efforts are often so good
that he can find no reason to re-print a negative, and that the ability to
place the shadows at any value that he wants gives him a real sense of
control! I am hoping to hear from all of you who requested the 'how-to'
file. I have not had any paniced calls for help, so I am encouraged that the
directions were clear enough to get re-producible results! I hope to hear
about any successes! and if there are any failures, let me know, too! If we
can overcome the communication barrier, I am encouraged to spread the
'gospel', so to speak!
Bob says that the Omega D5 with the Aristo head is the best thing since
sliced bread, or free love- at his age, they rank about the same! I was
surprised at the short times required for the shadow exposures- sometimes
only 1/10 as long as the green exposure!!!! The paper is oviously very
sensitive to blue light!

As an aside- Bob was showing off his new toy- a small JOBO safelight that
had a string to hang it aroundyour neck, and a pricetag of $51 retail- $35
for those who asked for a break and got the 'pro' price! OUCH!
I told Bob- there must be an easier way! I went to Radio Shack, bought the
small flachlight that uses the tiny bi-pin lamp, and uses the AAA cells- it
has the head that turns 180 degrees and sells for about $7. I took the lamp
out, and replaced it with a bright amber LED- This one was in the 20 LED
assortment that Radio Shack sells for $2.49- and I enlarged the hole in the
reflector with a soldering iron to accomodate the larger LED. I took some
120 grit sand paper and 'frosted' the front clear plastic lens, inserted the
LED where the lamp had been, assembled it, and for less than $10 had a tiny
little safelight! Bob has been giving it the 'smoke test' and reports that a
direct exposure of the light to VC paper, with exposure times of one, two,
and three minutes resulted in NO FOGGING!
The light is great for checking settings on the enlarger, or taking notes in
the dark, and has a handy clip to fasten to your clothing. The head, since
it angles, makes it handy to set on the table for handsfree note taking! So,
if you are contemplating getting a small safelight, consider this
alternative! IT's cheap, and takes just a few minutes to cobble together!
Sorry for the lengthy post! But this is just so much daggum fun, I have to
share!
Dan ( Crazy from the heat, no doubt!) Post

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] re split printing notes- follow up)