Subject: Re: [Leica] pleasingly plump?
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 3 Aug 2000 18:23:54 -0700

On Thu, 03 August 2000, ralph fuerbringer wrote:

> i admire the svelte lines of my m2. i also liked the looks of the leicaflex.
> i lost interest in leica reflexes after they gummed up the  minolta xdll.
> imagine my surprise seeing the r8 for the first time today. it posed prone
> on the back cover of an english mag i thought might have tips for orgies.
> the r8 was shot from above.what does this remind me of i
> asked myself. delta burke just before she ballooned and floated away from
> designing women? then it hit me: i dont know how he felt but bill clinton
> must have seen something similair when he looked down white eating pizza &
> discussing war with a congressman.  does an r8 owner call his camera my
> lewinsky or just monica? since she's into custom handbags r8 owners might
> get a custom case  w/drop front&thong strap. looks of course arent
> everything(i tell my mirror) but after glimpsing  the r8 i'm getting out my
> 40yr-old black nikon f with plain prism. make a stunning couple black nf and
> chrome m2, mean photomachines both and both lean.  ralph

Lean & mean the F may be but compared with a Leicaflex it's crude & clunky.  This from someone whose first 35mm camera was a Nikon F.

And, FWIW, most R8 owners call their camera the best SLR they ever used.  I was put off by the appearance too until I used one for a day (thanks Tom).  The viewfinder isn't quite as bright as a Leicaflex's but the R8 fused with my hands and implanted a direct neural connection to my mind.  It's the first electronic camera I've used that was as easy to use in manual mode as the Leicaflex SL.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!