Subject: [Leica] Chicago stores
From: "Duane Birkey" <dbirkey@uio.telconet.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 22:52:16 -0500

Roger wrote:

Try Helix on Racine ave (on the west side of Chicago). There used to be
a shop on Burlington Ave in Lagrange IL that had used Leica gear but I
don't know if they are still there. Central Camera on Wabash Ave in the
Loop is also a place to look.

I went by Lagrange camera last time I was in the U.S.  They didn't have much
Leica.... A lot of Canon and Nikon stuff.  At one time they had more than
just about anybody..... but after Calumet bought them out... and then sold
it... The Leica side of the store pretty much died.  Wolf and Ritz bought
out many of the local camera stores and used equipment isn't a priority...
Mass photofinishing is.... I looked around at all of the other stores in the
western suburbs, and less of it seems to be around... either that or people
are selling it on e-bay....

Oak Park Camera used to have an amazing assortment of used EQ... But it has
been a long time since I was by there... Even if you don't find anything in
the store....  It's a great place to see Frank Loyd Wright's Oak park Studio
and some of his Prarie style architecture.

They did have monthly photo shows around Chicago where you can find an
assortment of things...

For me... the spring and fall Chicago Photographic Collectors Society shows
were always the biggest and the best...

But maybe some of the other Chicago area Luggers will pitch in too.

Duane ( I used to live in Wheaton) Birkey
Quito Ecuador