Subject: [Leica] Ansel, cruisin' for snaps
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2000 15:12:51 -0700

At 11:38 PM 8/2/00 +1000, Miro Jurcevic wrote:
>I remember as a teenage watching Ansel Adams on television doing his work
>and thinking how wonderful photography must be when you have all the time in
>the world to sit and plan a shot. How often does any person have that
>experience, especially with an SLR or Rangefinder ?
>
>Miro

I was born, grew up, and still live on the California coast. Just an hour
from Ansel Adams home.

Over the years, I have met with Ansel, usually by accident, while out
photographing along the California coast. I've seen and passed by many
photographers over the years, but whenever I saw that International
Travelall, I stopped for a chat. One thing Ansel liked to do is talk
photography.

Like any photographer, there were situations that he obviously planned for.
As a young man, he basically grew up in Yosemite and therefore had things
planned in his mind as to what and how to photograph these wonders.

However, in my recollection, especially when I met him along the coast, he,
like all of us was just cruisin' for snaps. I know this is true along the
west coast and, I'm sure, throughout the southwest. I would say that very
few of Ansel's photographs were planned ahead in detail.

He loved to cruise for snaps. Just like the rest of us.

Jim