Subject: Re: Long lens support (was: Re: [Leica] WAS: Focusing a 280 F2.8??? etc.)
From: CapsTeeth@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 16:42:03 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/00 2:36:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
telyt560@cswebmail.com writes:

<< At 8 frames/sec I'd run out of film and have to reload before the peak
action occurred.  I've had better results relying on knowing the animal's
behavior and anticipating the actions I wanted instead of relying on a motor
to catch the peak action.>>

The theory is not about catching the peak action, it's about having 1 or 2
frames out of the burst occur when camera/lens/photographer are absolutely
motionless.  It's not foolproof, but it works sometimes.  BTW I also use the
400/6.8 once in a while (mine's a Viso mount, have the extension tube also).
Nice travel lens, great for flying birds.  Two elements put some much more
complex lenses to shame.  I've often considered buying a Nikon adaptor for
it, seeing as how it doesn't have any meter or aperture coupling to worry
about.

 <<BTW of the wildlife photos I've sold (as display prints, and to publishers
of books, magazines and calendars) only a very small percentage were made
using a tripod-mounted camera. >>

My wildlife shooting excursions usually have me scurrying and clambering and
often puffing and panting (I'm not out-of-shape) too heavily to handhold
steady, and for many shots I have to play duck-and-lean to avoid branches and
other obstructions in the shot, and can't find a way to assume a balanced
stance.  Many of my best shots were also taken without a tripod, but in most
cases the lens was resting on something solid nature had fortuitously
provided.  Many times, I was sitting on the ground with my legs together,
knees bent, and the lens head resting in the space provided between my
kneecaps.  I've never tried to sell my photos but I'm as self-critical (maybe
more?) as any editor would be.