Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Viewfinder on M2 question
From: ralph fuerbringer <rof@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 20:07:13 -0400

the tilted window was the first step in the planned introduction of tilt and
shift lenses for the m way back in the fifties. the technology was to be
introduced gradually so no one would notice the necessary preliminaries. the
window tilt compensates for illumination loss during shift, tilt of the
framelines(next step) . the final step would have internal elements in the
lens move apropriately. the system would be actived by saying scheimpflug,
& right, left, up,down,forget it. this sensational project had to be
abandoned when the two in charge killed each other.they were arguing over
how to pronounce scheimplug. that's why sherry left the tilt alone in case
the project is revived with sounder activation. ralph