Subject: [Leica] exposing trix at 320
From: "Gary Klein" <leicaman_99@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:04:39 -0500

I think the reason why the digital printing has took off like wild fire is
due to the fact that many photographers just simply are not good lab
technicians.  They get confused with the controls that silver based
photography affords.  The scanners help them with the image conversion to
digital and Photoshop helps them mask their mistakes.  They are sloppy with
temperature control, sloppy with aggitation, sloppy with printing.   If you
nail down your technique, you do respect black and white printing a whole
lot more and you end up with first rate results.  Hey and I am saying this
with over 9 years of scanning images for a living and with nearly 15 years
of experience of black and white printing.

I agree with other posters, however, that even though it is a little dated,
Ansel Adams, the negative really spells out the recipe for quality imaging.

gck
Leica M, the quiet alternative...

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> ([Leica] Re: Digital and sloppy (was: exposing trix at 320))