Subject: Re: [Leica] Advice for anyone planning to drive during your Boston Stay
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:44:14 +0100

Craig Roberts wrote:

> Now that B.D., Buzz and several of the rest of us Bostonians
> have...hopefully...discouraged you from driving in our fair city, you'll be
> left with taking the "T" (the subway, bus, commuter rail system).  Some
> advice:
>
> 1) Purchase a multi-ride pass for your stay...it'll save you a lot of hassle
> and waiting in lines for tickets 'n tokens.  It'll also give you terrific
> freedom to roam the area at will and save you money as well.  For details,
> visit www.mbta.com .
>
> 2) When riding the subway you WILL be standing most of the time.  Cram
> yourself into a corner as far away from the doors as possible, face the
> bulkhead, clutch your camera bag to your chest and avoid all eye contact.
> Cowering in the corner is for your convenience and comfort, not security.
> Boston is safer than most large cities, so you and your camera stand little
> chance of molestation...it's just that you don't want to disturb the
> somewhat cranky locals...especially during the workday.  Being on the
> receiving end of a tongue lashing for innocently occupying one square foot
> of hotly contested territory can darken a bright afternoon.
>
> Once you exit the "T" you'll need to walk to your destinations.  This is an
> especially challenging undertaking and a great test of raw courage.  No,
> you're very unlikely to be mugged but you do stand a very good chance of
> being flattened by a vehicle unless you follow this tip:
>
> When crossing a street, RUN LIKE HELL when you see ANY gap between vehicles.
> Commonwealth of Massachusetts law dictates that marked crosswalks not
> attended by a traffic light belong to pedestrians.  Once your foot hits the
> pavement on a crosswalk, the legend goes, the right of way is yours.  This
> actually works in most suburbs, but in Boston itself this presumption of
> pedestrian rights is suicide!  Boston motorists...professional and private
> citizen alike...WILL KILL YOU if given the opportunity.  Fact is, they're
> really ticked off because hundreds of pedestrians a day jaywalk in front of
> their vehicles.  The pedestrians jaywalk because it's the only safe way to
> cross a street in Boston.  It's a vicious cycle that even a recent crackdown
> on pedestrian / motorist right-of-way rules have failed to impact.  The best
> advice is: use your finest survival instincts.
>
> Hey, why don't we all just meet at my house in Gloucester?  We'll hang out
> at the Crow's Nest, drink brewskies and take shots of picturesque fishing
> boats in the harbor.
>
> Craig
> Boston

Come on Guys, All this scare tactics about Boston will discourage folk from
exploring and experiencing a truly remarkable city. There is so much to see
and the city is a photographers dream, bricks, cobble stones, steel and glass,
along with a pot potpourri of every imaginable race, color, and creed of folk
everywhere to be lined up in the cross hairs of your Leicas.  One of my
favorite places for street photography is Harvard Square, especially on a
summer's weekend eve. Street performers, singers, bands, mannequins, and
hoards of young and old. Chess players, hawkers, and other regulars will
compete for your attention.  Beware of the "pit" the area in front of the
subway entrance. This is where the orange hair and body piercing set hangs out
and they are very camera aware and camera shy. Any of their group who spots a
photographer will shout "Camera! Camera! to the rest. At which point they will
all glare at you and assert "You can't Take my picture. It is illegal". Any
reasoning on this point will be ignored. This should be a real challenge for
you street shooters coming to the Meet.
John Shick

Message from "Craig Roberts" <croberts@zoomtel.com> (Re: [Leica] Advice for anyone planning to drive during your Boston Stay)