Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying from New York Camera
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 23:09:08 +0200

Chris,

I am not familiar with NY Camera's German operation, nor have I bought from
German retailers while I lived in the US, but I have shopped a lot with Foto
Hobby, Leicabeimeister and Brenner Foto Versand while living in Belgium and now
in Switzerland. They are all very good, honest and give good service.

To your specific question: you should expect to pay your local customs duty plus
shipping; I am not sure about sales tax, perhaps it depends on your state of
residence. Theoretically you are supposed to pay sales tax on out-of-state
purchases in most if not all states that have a sales tax, but the states vary
in the extent to which they enforce such laws.

Conversely, make sure that you are either not charged German VAT or are provided
with a mechanism to get a refund of it. The 16% is commonly included in the
stated price, but if you live outside the EU, you do not have to pay it.
Leicabeimeister, for instance, will automatically deduct this when shipping an
item to a non-EU country. Other retailers may send you a refund cheque which you
can cash at selected banks in the U.S. Ask about this. Obviously, the first
method is preferable for you.

Nathan

Chris Lee wrote:

> Has anyone in the US or Canada dealt with NY Camera, or has purchased from a
> German retailer? I've checked the tariff database for Canada and US on
> German slide projector imports. They are 6 and 7% respectively, which are
> not bad at all.
>
> Aside from the products themselves, the shipping, and the tariff, and
> perhaps a sales tax, should I expect any other charges?

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Herrliberg (ZH), Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch