Subject: Re: [Leica] digital prints again
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 19 Jul 2000 07:38:14 -0700

On Wed, 19 July 2000, MIKIRO wrote:

> "B. D. Colen" wrote:
> > It sounds as though we have reached the point where, to speak of and prove
> > silver superiority to digital printing, one will be required to wear a 10x
> > loupe around one's neck and examine every print that way. I, for one, prefer
> > to step back from photos - at least a few inches - and examine and admire
> > the photograph.
> snip
>
> This may not be a good analogy, but...  With paintings we often find that
> one which appears to show the "matiere" very well at a distance has in fact
> surprisingly little details on close view.  And there are cases vice versa.
> I would assume that tonal range or latitude is more important than pixel
> numbers that are without question important (Just compare pics from APS size
> CCDs and from much smaller ones with similar pixel numbers).  Is Leica glass
> superior (with magical brush touch of a master ;-)) to others even in this
> low pixel number situation?
>
> Cheers,
>
> NO ARCHIVE
>
> MIKIRO
> Strasbourg Europe
> Galleria ARBOS
> http://arbos.silva.net

I'll have to let the masters answer for themselves but for me the Leica glass gives me scans that are much easier to work with: Leica's exceptional control of internal reflections and flare result in better shadow detail, no strange color casts, and generally cleaner, brighter colors.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!