Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica + Rollei?
From: Chris Lee <chrislee@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 20:47:31 -0700

> I like this one too.....don't Schneider and Zeiss make lenses for the Rollei
> 600X series?

Yes. But Zeiss in particular doesn't seem too enthusiastic about
making/designing lenses for Rollei.

Of the Zeiss lens lineup for the Rollei system, Zeiss really makes only 4 or
so. The rest are made by Rollei, and some are rather old designs. The Rollei
market at present is just too small to keep Zeiss interested.

I think it's much more cost effective and faster for Leica to just buy out
Rollei. It took Leica 5-6 years to design the R8 already, and it can take
substantially more time to design a brand new medium format system for which
Leica has had no experience and a established line of lenses/accessories.

Regards,

Chris