Subject: [Leica] Re: digital sensors
From: "Tim Spragens" <t.spragens@cityweb.de>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:13:56 +0100

I think you have reaffirmed a feeling that I've had about the numbers
wars with digital cameras, that the manufacturers are counting total
pixels, while the user is often thinking about color image pixels. If I
wanted, for example a 640 x 480 pixel color image, not
interpolated, I would need a  0,9 or 1,2 mega pixel CCD (roughly)
depending on the filter scheme used. Aren't the manufacturers
fudging in their pixel counting?

> ... Current
> technology puts us at the limit of the signal to noise ratio. We
> cannot make the current cell components any

They can't be made denser, but can they not be made larger? More
expensive and higher failure rates, but a 24mm x 36mm CCD would
make digital photographers happier with their wide angle lenses,
particularly.

- --
Tim Spragens
http://www.borderless-photos.com